Code of Conduct
Coaches and Parent Volunteers
It is the responsibility of each Coach, Assistant Coach and each Parent to:
- Realize that the purpose of youth soccer is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well-being of the individual players.
- Emphasize the proper ideals of, and lead by example in demonstrating sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
- Remember that children play for fun and enjoyment. Always place the emotional and physical well being of players ahead of any personal desire to win. Never ridicule or yell at children for making mistakes or losing a game.
- Show cordial courtesy to visiting teams and officials.
- Respect the property of communities that you are visiting.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the referee.
- Achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules of the game, the SYSC and the soccer organizations we are affiliated with.
- Show respect for all players, coaches, fans and officials regardless of race, sex, creed or ability.
- Remember that children need adult role models they can respect. Be generous with your praise when it is deserved and set a good example.
- Treat each player as an individual, remembering there may be a large spread of physical and emotional development of members of the same team.
- To the extent practicable, follow the advice of a physician or parent when determining when an injured player is ready to play again.
- Make a commitment to educate yourself on positive coaching principles and the principles of growth and development of children.
- Remember that a contest is only a game, not a matter of life or death for any player, coach, official, parent or the SYSC, and that the game is for children and not adults.
As a player of the Scarsdale Youth Soccer Club I pledge to:
- Come to all practices, training sessions and games prepared to play, ready to listen and equipped with appropriate uniform (for practices and games).
- Be respectful to all players on my team and other teams.
- Be respectful to all coaches and referees.
- Refrain from using abusive and/or taunting language while at practice, before, during and after a game.
- Refrain from physical abuse of other players, coaches, referees, parents and spectators while at practice, before, during and after a game.
- Support the team and other teammates by following the game while on the sidelines.
As a parent of a Scarsdale Youth Soccer Club player, I pledge to:
- Support my child’s efforts to be on time and be prepared for all practices, training sessions and games.
- Not question the calls of the referee or the actions of the coach.
- Provide encouragement to my child and all team players.
- Be respectful of all players on my child’s team and opposing teams, coaches, referees and spectators.
- Discuss all issues with my child’s coach privately and at a time away from the game.
- Refrain from unsportsmanlike behavior, including verbal or physical abuse of players, coaches, referees and other spectators at practice, before, during and after games
As a parent of a Scarsdale Youth Soccer Club player, I agree to review these guidelines with my child and to abide by the guidelines as listed.
Acceptance of Club Code of Conduct
I have read the Scarsdale Youth Soccer Club player and parent(s) code of conduct and understand that as part my acceptance of the roster position being offered on the team, I will follow these guidelines. Failure to abide by one or more principles of the Scarsdale Youth Soccer Club Code of Conduct may result in suspension or expulsion of player and/or parent from practices, games and/or the Club.
Document must be signed and returned to Scarsdale Youth Soccer Club prior to player being permitted to play in first game.