U8 TRAVEL SOCCER
ALL ARE WELCOMED - NO TRYOUTS
Full Year Commitment (Fall & Spring)
Program & Philosophy
Our U8 Travel program is designed for players turning 8 within the calendar year of play. For the 2019-20 season, only players born in 2012 are eligible to play U8 soccer.
At the U8 level, players will experience an enjoyable introduction to travel soccer, as they work to develop individual skills and soccer related conditioning, while also beginning the process of linking what they are doing on the field with other players. The soccer brain really begins to form at this age, as players can more easily understand how to use their teammates, as well as learn more about spacing, simple tactics, and their role within a group.
Players will practice twice a week to develop their skills, fitness, and game intelligence, with professional trainers from Stay-In-Town Soccer. In the fall, U8 players will compete in two 20-minute 4v4 games on Sundays against neighboring towns. These games will be coached by volunteer parent coaches, with guidance from Stay-In-Town Soccer. In the spring, the program will include the possibility of larger sided games and more travel, to accommodate the children’s growing skill level and prepare them for the U9 format (7v7).
The fall season will run from early September to early November. The Sunday Game Schedule is released just prior to the start of the season. For this age group (U8), no scores or standings are maintained.
The U8 category requires engaged parent participation with three parent coaches per team. Please see the Parent Participation section below.
Please note that all players are asked to arrive at their game 30 minutes before the start of the games for warm-up. As this is a travel league, you should expect that half of all games will be played in nearby towns in Westchester that are convenient and close to Scarsdale, although there will be some travel time in reaching those fields.
- Players born January 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012
- Must supply copy of passport or birth certificate and one copy of medical release* form during registration process to the address provided during registration
The SYSC U8 teams are formed based on your child’s elementary school (e.g. all Heathcote kids will be on the same team). All players who register on time will be placed on a team. Players who register after the close of registration will be placed on a waitlist and added to a team if a space becomes available.
To make this the best experience possible for our U-8 players, we require your help! Active parent participation is a vital part of the U8 program, with every team required to have at least two parent assistant-coaches, who have been issued a coaching card by WYSL (games are coached by parent coaches).
The requirements to get a coaching card for the Fall 2019 Season are minimal. Initially, volunteers only need to apply for and clear a background check, which includes an online injury awareness training video.
In order to maintain the coaching card for the start of the Spring season, volunteers must also take the Level 2 Coaching Course by March 30. Please see the Parent Volunteer Pre-requisite page for more details on requirements and course availability.
You can sign up to be a parent volunteer during registration or after with the email@example.com.
Winter Season Training* (Optional)
*The Winter Training for this age group is based on space availability and varies season to season.
Winter training will significantly advance player skills and should be encouraged by the team’s Parent Volunteers. The season will run from Jan 8 - March 29.
Winter Training for this age group is based on space availability and varies season-to-season. Specifics of location, days and pricing will be announced soon.
Stay-In-Town Soccer will offer weekly training throughout the Winter as part of a broader effort to offer programs year-round so players can stay fit and keep skills sharp!
SYSC Contact: JP VanArsdale firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTRATION CLOSED REGISTER FOR WAITLIST
The Active Registration period is
June 1, 2019 - June 30, 2019.
U8 Travel Soccer Facts (Born 2012)
- This is a Fall and Spring commitment
- NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS. Refund Policy
- NO TRYOUTS, all players who register within the period will be placed on a team
- Teams will practice 2x during the week with professional Stay-in-Town Soccer trainers
- 2nd graders are not required to cross register for Rec Soccer in the Fall (Rec is a separate program run by the Village of Scarsdale)
- Parent volunteer coaches will coach the games on Sundays in two, side-by-side, 4v4 Games for fall. Teams may adjust to larger sided games for spring.
- Parent coaches required for Sunday games - please sign up during registration!
New Players (new to u8+)
- Read about our SYSC programs to determine which program is available for your child. Tryouts for U9+ are typically held in May.
- Create a FAMILY ACCOUNT. If you have a child who has previously played travel soccer in our league, you already have an account and can login here. If you are new to any of the SYSC programs, please select online registration and create a family account to register.
- Complete the Player Documentation Requirements.
- Order uniforms for your child.
- Read the Commitment Policy.
- Read the Parent Guidelines.
- Read about our SYSC programs to determine which program is available for your child. Tryouts for U9+ typically held in May.
- Complete the online registration for each individual child in your family. Don't forget to upload a new picture of your child.
- Complete the Player Documentation Requirements.
- Order uniforms for your child only if they need a larger size from the previous season.
- Revisit the Commitment Policy.
- Revisit the Parent Guidelines.
2019 Fall Practice Schedule